Graduate Profiles build coherence while promoting local control
Over the past several decades, California school districts have made great strides to respond to the growing societal need to better prepare CA youth for college, careers, and civic engagement. The mix of initiatives implemented have focused on several interrelated areas of growth, and have led to valuable lessons learned, built organizational capacity, and improved student outcomes.
While we certainly have much to celebrate, the sheer number of initiatives is overwhelming and can lead to fatigue. Additionally, trying to manage efforts that sometimes seem to be at odds with one another can leave districts scrambling to find a coherent strategy.
The process of creating and implementing Graduate Profiles can be the driver to shift the purpose of education, building a strategy for educational transformation that truly promotes:
- Equity – Prioritizing the skills and competencies each and every child needs to reach their potential, while affirming and validating their linguistic and cultural identities as assets
- Student agency – Giving students a voice and a choice to pursue their interests
- Whole-child education – Developing academic, career, and life skills side by side to promote lifelong success
- Local control – Addressing local priorities and values and engaging local community members in the process of envisioning student success
- Coherence – Establishing an overarching framework within which to implement multiple initiatives and programs